Friday 15 February 2008

23 Things Final Task

Firstly, I must apologise if I haven't quite followed the instructions for this last question as I no longer have access to the Swinburne Wiki and thus haven't been able to find out what the last question actually is, so this is a guess. Hope you don't penalise me for this (my contract finished last year):).

Well, what a journey that was! Through the wonders of podcasting, blogs, RSS feeds, Facebook, social bookmarking and Second Life, I've seen a lot and learnt much. No surprise I'm exhausted! The things that have stuck with me and which I've taken with me to my new workplace (and home) are Del.icio.us, Blogger (there are actually people who read this!) Facebook (great communication tool!) Bloglines and Youtube. I've just requested access to a blog RMIT has created for their "GoogleSmart" training program and will enjoy contributing to this.

I guess at the end of the day, it's horses for courses and what I use won't necessarily be what others use. Sometimes there has to be a need before a new online web2.0 / library 2.0 service can be useful. Also some tools don't always have a good academic use either. Services such as FaceBook and MySpace were never intended to be educational tools, they were designed as ways to enable social contact between people and they do this very well. Blogs and Second Life are may be a bit different.

Whatever happens, I'll be going through this journey again from April when RMIT institutes it's own 23 Things project so I'll be well armed to get some RPL won't I?
23 Things is well worth it as it exposed me to a wide variety of web / library 2.0 services and allowed me to choose the most appropriate ones for my needs, which really is the point of the whole thing.

Thanks to those staff involved in 23 Things development and roll out and I hope those who had to go through 30+ blogs every week don't have square eyes! I hope your supervisors provide you with paracetamol and head massages to make it easier on you.

So long and thanks for all the fish (and thanks Douglas Adams!). Over, but definitely not out. Miss you Swinburne! TTB

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're terribly committed to finish the project after you've left, and embark on another one this year! Glad you've enjoyed it.

keec said...

Thanks Bec,

I found it to be very enlightening and interesting. Perhaps I should volunteer my services as "23 Things Champion" at RMIT.... Be afraid RMIT, very afraid...... :)

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...

Hi Keely,

shame we didn't get to say goodbye and all that.

good to see you are gainfully employed.

enjoy your time at RMIT.

ps. Rob Rochester is working there.

Unknown said...

Keely,

Victercats is John Butera (Swinburne).

- confused with different accounts

Unknown said...

Hi Keely,

shame we didn't get to say goodbye and all that.

good to see you are gainfully employed.

enjoy your time at RMIT.

ps. Rob Rochester is working there.

Cleve F. Carvalho said...

Hi Keely,
Congratulations on completing the 23 Things! Your concluding comments have echoed the feelings of many who have been on this exciting journey. I am happy to know that you will be able to make some application of the things you learned on the 23 Things journey. With this experience, you are well prepared to be a 23Things Champion for the RMIT project.

Many thanks for your participation and all the best for the prize drawing.
Regards,
Cleve